Back when I had a steady RPG (role-playing game) group, a friend and I were talking about a concept he was thinking about called “Neo Pulp”. Basically using the template of the old pulp characters, such as Doc Savage and The Shadow, in a more modern setting. The background would be modern-day, or close to it, where it was almost “street level”, but things like bionics and light magic/’weird’ science also existed.
Most of the characters would be men and women of action…using their wits and whatever gadgets they might have to combat the threat of evil, lurking in the background.
Some of the names bandied about were :
The M.A.N.T.I.S team
Lara Croft, Tomb Raider
Briscoe County Jr.
Jonathan Chase: The Manimal
There were a few other names thrown in there, like Charlie’s Angels, Michael Knight, The Misfits of Science, Remington Steele, characters along those lines. Obviously, a lot of it was based on old 70s and 80s television shows and that was all right because our gaming group, besides me and the friend discussing it, never really “got” just what pulp was. At least they could never seem to come up with concepts to fit the genre any other time we attempted. T.v. shows, they did get though.
Unfortunately, the game never happened as other things came up, but it’s always something that has stuck in the back of my mind as a fun, little campaign.
I think my ‘dream’ neo-pulp group would consists of:
- Steve Austin: “The Six Million Dollar Man”–With his bionic advantages as well as ties to the government (the O.S.I)
- Angus MacGuyver: “Mac”–Improvisational in the field skills as well as resource contacts (the Phoenix Foundation)
- Emma Peel: “The Original Avenger”–Cool under fire, martial arts prowess, British government contacts.
- Lara Croft: “The Tomb Raider”–Archaeology expert, wealthy, familiar with field work.
- Remo Williams: “The Destroyer”– Willing to ‘get his hands dirty’ if needed, master if Sinanju, resource contacts.
Like I said, I think the Neo-Pulp concept would be great fun for a ‘street level’ campaign as well as a blast from the past in getting to play one of your favorite characters from an old t.v. show.
How about you? Who would your ‘dream team’ consist of in the Neo-Pulp genre?