So, on hearing that D.C. Comics is doing a total reboot of their universe I was, at first, a bit nerdraged. I mean, come on, they’re actually getting rid of over 50 years of continuity/history and hitting the reset button? It’s things like this, marketing ploys designed to snag a newer, hipper, audience (willing to pay more for comics, more than likely, as well…) that always seem to turn older fans off. I’ll admit, I was initially against it. Then, I got to thinking….maybe this could be an opportunity for me. I’ve been reading comics for over 30 years, only recently giving them up due to a combination of price and sub par stories. There’s a lot of good art out there, but a lot of the stories just weren’t….fun. In my view, comic books should be about FUN!
The more I started reading about the new titles, the more I got to thinking that this could be a good jumping on point for someone like myself. Someone who hasn’t picked up a comic (regularly) in a few years but, maybe, looking to get back into collecting. I’m not sure if I’m the demographic D.C. was looking to grab, but at this point I’ll admit, I’m intrigued.
Here’s a shortlist of what I’ll probably be picking up as soon as the reboot happens:
- Justice League: The ‘flagship’ book for the new universe and I’m a sucker for team books. Plus, superheroes are “strange and new”?
- Justice League International: Loved the original and want to see how this stacks up.
- Mister Terrific: I’ve always been interested in this character, so this seems like a good starting point.
- D.C. Universe Presents: Besides team books, I also really like anthology books.
- Green Lantern: New Guardians: No real reason for getting this one…again, a team book.
- Red Hood and the Outlaws: Very “Batman and the Outsider”ish to me and it piqued my interest.
- Justice League Dark: Again, a team book and I’m always a sucker for the ‘occult investigator’ sort of story.
- Frankenstein Agent of S.H.A.D.E: I think the title says it all…
- Resurrection Man: Sounds like an interesting character that, again, I really know nothing about.
- Legion Lost: I’ve always liked the Legion, but haven’t really read much with them in it (that I’ve liked) in a long while. Hope this changes things.
- Suicide Squad: Totally enjoyed the old series and love the concept. Villains working for the government….as if there aren’t enough villains in government already… 😀